This is my favorite recipe in a long time, super filling, super healthy and so flavorful!!
In the food processor:
- 1 1/4 cup of fresh basil (kale also works great if you don’t have basil in the house!)
- 1/4 cup of kale (I use the organic baby kale from Trader Joe’s which is great)
- 1/3 cup of walnuts
- 2 large sundried tomatoes (I prefer the jarred ones in olive oil)
- 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast (great vegan substitute for parmesan)
- garlic – I use the whole head
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (I use pink Himalayan salt)
- juice of 1/4 a lemon
Blend until fully mixed. You want the mixture to be pretty liquidy, add more olive oil if needed.
QUINOA (recipe from The Iron You – link below):
* 1 cup quinoa
* Zest of one lemon
* Juice of ½ lemon
* 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
* 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
Place quinoa into a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse thoroughly with cool water for about 2 minutes. Rub and swish the quinoa with your hand while rinsing. Drain.
Heat a splash of olive oil in the saucepan over medium-high heat, and add the drained quinoa. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, letting the water evaporate.
Add 2 cups of water and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Bring to a rolling boil, lower to a simmer (turn heat down to the lowest setting), cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 more minutes, covered.
Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa gently with a fork (you should see tiny spirals separating from and curling around the quinoa seeds.)
Combine cooked quinoa with kale pesto, and mix to coat the quinoa thoroughly.
Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Divide quinoa among separate bowls.
Top off quinoa with lemon zest, chopped walnuts and red pepper flakes.
Make poached eggs and serve them over quinoa bowls.
From the Iron You: http://www.theironyou.com/2015/02/quinoa-kale-pesto-bowls-with-poached-egg.html