Love this quick and very healthy version of fried rice. It’s vegan, gluten free and paleo!
Cook 1 cup of organic brown rice in 2 cups of vegetable stock until cooked (about 20 minutes).
I used a chili lime broccoli recipe I found in Vegetarian Times magazine, and tweaked it a bit to make these grilled asparagus:
CHILI LIME ASPARAGUS:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder (I used red pepper flakes which worked great too)
- fresh asparagus (as much as you like)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl, mix all ingredients and cover the asparagus until coated. Pour into a parchment lined baking sheet making sure the asparagus are arranged next to each other (none should be on top of each other) and bake for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Be careful not to overcook!
VEGGIE BURGER FRIED RICE:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 frozen veggie burgers (right now I’m really into the quinoa cowboy veggie burgers from Trader Joe’s).
- 1/4 cup frozen broccoli
- 1/4 cup frozen edamame (shelled)
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple or mango
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- splash of Island Soyaki sauce to taste
In a pan on medium high temp, heat up the olive oil, balsamic and garlic powder until hot and popping. Add veggie burgers, broccoli, edamame, fruit and walnuts. Once the burgers thaw enough in the pan, I break them up with a fork to cook them faster. Stir and fry until the veggie burgers are fully cooked and crispy on the edges.
Add in the cooked brown rice and stir. Press the rice mixture down into the pan with a spatula. Let sit for 5 minutes to crisp up the rice. Top with a splash of Soyaki sauce to taste and stir until incorporated. Add a bit more Soyaki sauce if the dish seems dry.
Serve the rice topped with the grilled asparagus and a dash of salt.
Serves 3 people.